Friday, November 22, 2013

Fabulous (Feel-Good) Friday


\
So, I'm sure many of you saw, last Friday, about the Make-a-Wish Foundation teaming up with the city of San Francisco to turn 5 year old leukemia survivor Miles Scott into BatKid for the day, complete with stopping a bank robbery and rescuing the San Francisco Giants' mascot from the Penguin. (I particularly liked that the "villains" were dressed to resemble the bad guys in the campy Adam West/Burt Ward version of Batman; that one's my personal favorite, not least because it's the one that I like to watch with my OWN kids! "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb")

BatKid receiving the Key to Gotham City

Of course, this was an expensive undertaking, and many people have been griping about that cost -- most of which, of course, comes from donations to the Make-a-Wish foundation, which exists solely to make these once-in-a-lifetime dreams come true for kids whose lives have been so very profoundly touched by illness & adversity.*

Someone who said much better than I could all the reasons why focusing on the cost of something like this is not only wasteful but cruel, and why the opportunity to give experiences like these is a wonderful and uplifting thing for all of us who emotionally invest in it is, well, a blogger here: evoL = , where I will admit to reading a pretty fair way back through the archives.

Another interesting article, complete with pictures of Miles's younger brother, dressed as the most adorable Robin EVER, is this Buzzfeed one, Everything You Need to Know About Make-A-Wish Foundation's Adorable, Crime-Fighting Batkid

There are tons more videos, articles/blogs (both positive and negative) and pictures around the internet, if you're interested and managed to miss this over the last week!

*I'm a huge supporter, whenever I can and as much as I can, of both Make-A-Wish Foundation and St. Jude's Children's Hospital, as I have dear dear friends who have been blessed by both, some as patients and some as parents.

HAPPY FRIDAY, FRIENDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your take?